Friday 18 July 2014

Rihanna tweets #FreePalestine support, deletes it, posts something far less controversial about Israel-Gaza conflict

Unsurprisingly, Rihanna’s decision to post a tweet in support of Palestinians as the conflict between Israel and Gaza reaches death toll highs wasn’t particularly well received.

The singer, who is from Barbados, posted the hashtag “#FreePalestine” on her official feed on Tuesday morning (15 July).
Within just eight minutes, she swiftly deleted it, but not before she received a barrage of replies.
“She didn't even realise it was a tweet until she started hearing from her fans,” TMZ quoted a source close to Rihanna as saying.
They went on to explain that the singer had been reading up on the Middle Eastern conflict online when she "clicked a link".

Realising her error, she posted a far more balanced tweet, alongside an image, this morning.
Rihanna is, however, not the first famous face to wade in on the Israel-Gaza debate. Kim Kardashian was forced to issue a statement in 2012 after she posted a flurry of controversial tweets on the subject.
“Praying for everyone in Palestine and across the world,” she posted.
“I want to own up to and explain that earlier today I sent out two tweets about saying prayers for the people in Palestine and Israel and after hearing from my followers, I decided to take down the tweets because I realized that some people were offended and hurt by what I said, and for that I apologize,” she wrote.

“I should have pointed out my intentions behind these tweets when I posted them. The fact is that regardless of religion and political beliefs, there are countless innocent people involved who didn’t choose this, and I pray for all of them and also for a resolution. I also pray for all the other people around the world who are caught in similar crossfires.”
A spokesperson for Rihanna is yet to respond to request for comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment